2020 was a remarkably tough year. Not only has the global economy been damaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, but our environment as well. The increase in hazardous or biochemical waste products such as masks and gloves, have significantly increased the burden of our environment. Not to mention the measures implemented to control the pandemic, such as encouragement of takeaways and deliveries. As a result, plastic waste pollution is a pressing dilemma in Hong Kong.
According to a research conducted by the Greeners Action, a non-profit organisation in Hong Kong, it is estimated that over 46 million single-use plastics are being discarded in the city per week， which is exerting a huge burden on the landfills and causing detrimental impacts to our environment.
As the single-use plastic packaging of products sold in conventional grocery stores is one of the reasons for the immense amount of plastic waste, many environmental groups and organisations is starting to encourage businesses and stores to sell products in a more eco-friendly and sustainable way, which is having zero packaging for the products. And good news, this “zero-movement” finally starts kicking in Hong Kong! Here are 5 zero-waste stores that you can go to for a sustainable grocery shopping experience in Hong Kong.
With a clean, minimalist design, Slowood provides a soothing atmosphere while you are doing your sustainable grocery shopping. Sourcing from over a 100 brands all over the world, it provides environmentally-friendly organic products ranging from homeware to natural beauty products and organic food. There are stacked dispensers of grocery staples, as well as refill stations for cleaning, bathing and laundry products. Shoppers are encouraged to bring their own reusable containers to stock up everyday food such as rice and grains. With 4 branch stores in Hong Kong (now in Central Market too!) You can always drop by the store easily and stock up on groceries.
Location & hours:
- Kennedy Town Venue:Shop 1-3, G/F, The Hudson 11 Davis Street, Sai Wan (Opening hours: Monday to Sunday 10:00-21:00)
- Discovery Bay Venue: Shop Unit No.151, 1/F, DB Plaza (Block C) (Opening hours: Monday to Sunday 10:00-20:00)
- Shatin Venue: Shop 247, Level 2, New Town Plaza I, Shatin, New Territories (Opening hours: Monday to Sunday 10:00-22:00)
The very first package-free grocery store in Hong Kong, Live Zero offers a wide range of organic products, from organic ingredients to beauty products, dental care, feminine hygiene products and so on. Not to mention, a comprehensive range of dried seeds, grains or nuts that may be difficult to bulk purchase in conventional supermarkets! And of course, Live Zero also provides other daily essentials you need to help cut down your plastic consumption. Stainless steel straws, snack bags, coffee cups and filters, all these reusable containers can be easily found in Live Zero. Go check them out and give a kickstart to your sustainable lifestyle!
Location & hours:
- Sai Ying Pun venue: G/F 33 High Street, Sai Ying Pun (MTR Exit C) (Opening hours: 11:00-20:00)
- Sai Kung venue:G/F 22 Yi Chun Street, Sai Kung (Opening hours: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (Wednesday closed) 10:00-19:00, Sunday and Public holidays: 10:00-18:00)
Looking for home decorations or a treat for yourself? Here at Ms Audrey, you can find a great variety of antiques and vintage, from stationery, dining ware, home decorations to jewellery and accessories. There is also a comprehensive collection of floral teas, you are welcome to bring your own reusable container and stock up your favorite teas!
Location & hours:
- Flat B 13/F Mai Sik Ind Building, 1-11 Kwai Ting Road, Kwai Chung, New Territories, Hong Kong (Mon – Fri : 09:00 – 17:00) – Closed on Hong Kong public holidays
Another place where you can go to stock up your favorite seasonings and spices. Regency Spices offers a worldwide collection of organic spices and ingredients that are 100% gluten-free, and no added chemicals or preservatives. Shoppers can even request for custom blends of spices at the store!
Locations and hours:
- 8A, Ming Wah Industrial Building, 17-33 Wang Lung Street, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong. (no longer accept walk-in visitors due to COVID-19)
Zero-waste stores don’t only allow you to buy grocery staples in bulk, but liquid staples as well. VomFass offers award winning oils, vinegar and fine liquors. It’s stores are located in 5 locations in Hong Kong, and now joining the Central Market.
- Central Market, Ground Floor, Chef’s Market, ADMIRALTY Great Food Hall, Two Pacific Place, KOWLOON TONG, Taste Supermarket, Festival Walk, YUEN LONG, YATA Supermarket, L1, Yoho Mall 1